Friday, February 6, 2009

thoughts brought on by an ice storm, some time and some converstion

So here are some random thoughts on some random topics that I have been having lately:

Fear
Define the worst case scenario that you can think of and then realize that it isn’t that bad. That you would survive it. And you would. In fact many of us I think have been through those worst case types of situations and we have survived. So its possible. It might not be fun but its doable and you can be ok. You can even be better afterwards.

Action is always better then inaction.
Do SOMETHING. Even if you are not 100% sure about it. There is never going to be an ideal time for most things. So stop waiting for that ideal time that will never come. If there is something you want or that you think you might want, start doing things that will bring you closer to it. You can always change your course after you have started.
Another thought – some people are very into the idea of not having any regrets. I do not agree. I do have regrets, quite a few in fact. Of course I can also see the value of the experience, and in almost every case I did learn from it.
I am getting less and less afraid of mistakes. Because like I said, we can survive mistakes. And doing nothing is almost always worse.

Which brings me to my next thought…

Boredom is the opposite of happiness.
I really think that doing nothing will make us more miserable then doing the wrong thing.
Another part of this idea is filling your life and what you choose to fill it with. I want to have my life be full of things that are important to me and that I enjoy. I think balance is also a big part of this one. I want a full and balanced life. And I don’t want it full of meaningless things. I want it full of things that I find meaning in. And what I find meaning in will not be the same as what you find meaning in. We all have to come to our own conclusions on that one.

Be good at being uncomfortable.
Being uncomfortable is generally necessary for growth. So I want to stop trying to avoid it and stop being afraid of it.

You are more likely to get what you want if you ask for it.
If you want something it is important to say it out loud. I don’t think its quite real until you do.
And if other people are involved in what you want, how can they be expected to give it to you if you haven’t told them that you want it? If you never ask for it then you cant blame anyone for not helping you get it.
Saying it out loud certainly doesn’t guarantee you anything, but I think that it does increase your chances. And it certainly cant hurt.

You are better then you think.
I don’t think that anyone is ever really quite aware of how capable they are. And I think we are often our own harshest critics. We need to forgive our own mistakes and not ignore our successes. We are all capable of great things. So why not try to do something great?

Disclaimer:
Just because I am thinking and writing these things does not mean (at all) that I have them mastered or even that I am a little good at them. It just means that I am thinking about them and would like to make them more a part of my life.
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting!