Friday, May 13, 2011

letting go of the plan

Well. Today I found myself freaking out just a little about something and it started me thinking about why I was REALLY freaking out and that got me thinking about my recently acquired awareness of my need to try to control things.

So I started thinking about plans.

I love to plan. I am good at it. But I am also very aware that almost always, plans change. Often times more then once. I know that I will do better and be happier with life in general if I try to just relinquish control a little bit and instead just relax.

Its like I have a certain plan in my head, and then if things don't go the way I expected them to, for quite a while I kick and claw and fight and do everything I can to fix it. And to fix it means to get it back to my original plan. To make whatever the reality is fit into whatever I plan I had created.

But, usually I cant fix it.

Not being able to fix it usually infuriates me.

But, if I can just somehow let go of that plan and accept things as they are, then I am suddenly about to see the beauty in the current situation. To see that sometimes it is even better then what I planned. Then suddenly I can enjoy where I am and relax and once again feel surrounded by good things, even though nothing about the actual reality of the situation changed at all.

Sometimes I go through this whole process very quickly. Maybe in the course of 20 minutes lets say.

But sometimes it takes longer.

Lots longer.

But, I am working on speeding the whole thing up.

Have a wonderful weekend chickadees!

PS. Happy lucky Friday the 13th!

2 comments:

  1. This is exactly what I needed to read today. :) I battle this irrational fear that if things don't go according to plan, they will go "wrong"--but that totally precludes seeing how the unplanned way can be even better, freer, more spontaneous. Thank you for this reminder. Love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending love right back at ya :)
    xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting!