Friday, September 11, 2009

of moments and mattresses…

So yesterday two very kind individuals from work offered to help me move my mattress, box spring and bed frame from a basement in the town where I used to live, to where I live now (about a 15 minute drive). This was a HUGE help to me and I was so happy to finally be getting this done. Also I have missed sleeping on my bed and was very much looking forward to it.

First let me point out a few important things to remember
when moving a mattress in a smallish pickup truck.

1. When driving with a mattress in the back of a pickup truck
it is better to tie it TO WELL then not well enough.
2. Its may also be wise to tie down corners specifically.
3. And it is also wise to drive very slowly so as to not upset the mattress.

What ended up happening was that we did not do these things, and while driving happily down the freeway the mattress actually flew off the back of the truck and landed on the freeway.
I think you will be glad to know that there was no freaking out. There may have been a gasp, but after that it was mostly just laughing.

We drove ahead to the nearest place where we could turn around and went back for it.
Luckily it was mostly on the SIDE of the road so it came out pretty much ok.

Alas, I did not have my camera with me
so none of this has been documented in images.

We then tied it back onto the truck, slightly more securely this time and away we went.
After a bit of vacuuming and wiping down, it is now safe in my little house.
I am actually sitting on it as I type.

So there was a happy ending after all. :)

Also, somewhat inexplicably considering the story i just told you,
I was struck today(yesterday actually...)
with a feeling that I really am capable
of doing lots of things on my own.
Things that in the past I would have asked someone else to do for me.
But I am realizing now that I don’t need to ask.
I can do them myself.
And it’s actually quite a marvelous feeling.

2 comments:

Thank you so much for commenting!