Sunday, August 15, 2010

a space of ones own

Saturday morning I woke up with a need
to create a space for myself.
So my Mother and I got up, looked at the paper
and picked some promising garage sales.
I bought a very small wall hutch (in lime green below),
an old student desk (also in the photo below),
an antique end table, a very old bottle of perfume,
and an unopened pack of thank you cards
all for $25. That is why I love garage sales.
Then I went to work.
***

This weekend I put together a very, very small and simple space for myself.
I will use this space to write, paint, draw and make jewelry
(not involving a torch of course).
I LOVE this space.
I love it because its beautiful.
I love it because of what it means to me
and because of what I will be able to do there.
I love it because its mine.
And somehow just knowing its there
and having the option of using it
if I so desire has been wonderful.
Also the actual act of putting it together, of organizing, of touching each item that I love so dearly from where it had been stored away for so long and then putting it into what will be its new home, was so soothing.
Perhaps it was a reminder that I can still be me,
even in these new circumstances
and in this new place.
Regardless of why
it has been a really
good weekend
full of projects
and productivity.

2 comments:

  1. It is SO important. And the fact that you love it will be manifest in the way the space treats you too. Dream on, sister, dream on!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting!