Wednesday, October 28, 2009

the middle

There is a movie I saw once where a woman and man are fighting and part of what they are fighting about is that she says they have been at a 5 (on a scale of 1-10) for too long, and he says what is so wrong with a 5? And she says that basically there is nothing worse than medium. Than luke warm. Than living in the middle.

I have been thinking about this and wondering if I think she’s right.
When I was younger I tended to go to extremes. I think I still have that tendency. I have high highs and low lows. I always have. I used to embrace and like this about myself. I didn’t like the middle. It wasn’t where I wanted to be.
But, the older I get (I know, I know, I am not really that old..) the more I start to think that maybe medium isn’t so bad.
Maybe things being constantly pretty good is way better than
spending half your time floating above the ground
and the other half in a heap on the floor.
On the other hand,
maybe it is so bad.
Maybe I would still rather
feel SOMETHING strongly
then not feel much at all.
Maybe not.
And as odd as it is to admit this I think right now I am actually very medium.
Not great but also not horrible. And I think that is probably all I can expect to be right now. So even though that might not be satisfactory to me long term, right now it needs to be enough.
So I will try to be content with it.
ALSO
I am trying to prepare for the etsy holiday season, which can get quite crazy (I hope!!). I am deciding what items to focus on, trying to build up some good inventory, and trying to have lots of materials on hand for custom orders. I hope I end up needing it!

1 comment:

  1. I like the little miracles and surprises that life brings. I like exciting, unexpected fun things, so I don't think that I would like the middle. But I wouldn't want the other side, the heap on the floor ....
    Your books are beautiful, I'm off to check out your shop right now :)
    Rhiannon
    Daily Paint Journal

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting!